Monday, June 6, 2011

Freak Factor 10A

            In David Rendall’s piece “FREAK FACTOR: Discovering Uniqueness by Flaunting Weakness”, is all about identifying your weaknesses so you can identify your strengths. Rendall makes the claim that by realizing where your flaws are, you can figure out where you fit in the world. You don’t need to “fix” these flaws nor are they actually “flaws”, he asserts. If you’re scatterbrained, hyperactive, and can’t stop talking, work with that! Become a professor like the subject of “FREAK FACTOR”, because that’s a job that doesn’t require you to round out your rough edges, and instead embrace them to your advantage.
            The Power of Uniqueness describes how the Leaning Tower of Pisa was constructed, and viewed as a mistake, initially. However, it ended up being the break that Pisa needed. Millions of people visit the Tower to see a tower that leans. We as a people need to rid ourselves of the notion that imperfection means flawed. Imperfections in art, especially in a day in age like the one we find ourselves in now (with mass production), are a beautiful rarity! Bon Iver’s  album For Emma, Forever Ago, an album recorded on basic recording equipment, in a log cabin, is a perfect example of that.
            Putting Your Quirks To Work, tells the reader to put themselves into situations that allow them to maximize their efficiency, by working with their “quirks”. It preaches a few key elements; stop doing the things that don’t excite you; find others who are strong where you are weak; be efficient, instead of trying to use self-control; accommodate for your comrade’s quirks.
            Build on your strengths, talks about how we’re good at something for a reason. We like to do these things! So it doesn’t feel like work. We need to stick to what we love and build on that.
            I enjoyed this article because I can relate to having a lot of mental quirks to work with. I’ve got a nice handful of things I have to deal with, such as hyperactivity, anxiety, and a list of other wonderful things that aren’t necessary to talk about. But, as a musician, I can channel all of my energy and all of my quirks into constantly picking up a guitar, singing, writing, drumming, etc.  It allows me to keep all of my limbs, and my mind going at one time; fully consuming my thoughts and energy. When I mess up a recording of a song, because I’m choked up, I tend to leave it in. Because sometimes things like that, make the music more powerful. 

www.ChangeThis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment